Message from the Director
The Institute of Education, University of Ibadan was founded in 1956. Since inception, it has undergone tremendous changes. The most obvious and most rewarding is the separation of the Faculty of Education from the Institute of Education. The Institute enjoys the same status as those of the Faculties in the University of Ibadan. In accordance with its autonomous status, the Director of the Institute is a member of the Committee of Provosts, Deans and Directors of the University. It is important to note that several members of staff of the Institute are members of various Committees and Boards of this University.
Prior to the establishment of the International Centre for Educational Evaluation (ICEE) in 1973 as a research and teaching Unit in the Institute, the main functions of the Institute included:
- The training of teachers
- The promotion of educational research, and
- Carrying out advisory work for other educational organizations including supervision of schools, teachers and pupils at various educational levels.
Since 1973 when the ICEE was established, the functions of the Institute through the Centre now include:
- The training of evaluators for the African Continent.
- Research (with emphasis on evaluation techniques and instruments) and
- Contractual evaluation of specific educational projects.
Professor E. Adenike Emeke