History of IoE, UI
The Department of Extra-Mural Studies was founded in 1949 and the Institute of Education was founded in 1956/57 academic session to train teachers. The pioneering Director and Head of Education was Professor Margaret Read from the Institute of Education, University of London. Prof. Margaret Read was a member of the Elliot Commission that recommended the establishment of the University College, Ibadan. Initially, the classrooms for the students was at the old site of the University College at Eleyele although the students were housed on the new site. Margaret Read spent the first session (1956/57) planning the structure of the Institute and recruiting staff. Since U.C.I. started off as a University College of London University, she naturally planned it on the lines of the London University Institute of Education. The first set of 27 students was admitted in September 1957 for the 1957/58 session. They were for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education and the Associateship Certificate in Education. Professor Read did not complete the session.
INITIAL FUNCTIONS OF INSTITUTE OF EDUCATION AS CULLED FROM E. A. YOLOYE’S BOOK (40 YEARS OF INSTITUTE OF EDUCATION)
Training of teachers IN full-time courses at the University
Research into educational problems
Public service through conference, refresher courses and advisory services to teacher Training Colleges, Ministries of Education and Voluntary Agencies engaged in educational work.
EMERGENCE OF DIFFERENTIATION OF FUNCTION AND GOVERNANCE
The Government white paper on the Ashby Commission Report (Seasonal paper No.3 of 1961) accepted the following recommendation in paragraph 36:
The Federal Government will welcome the association of the training colleges with the department or Institute of Education attached to the Universities. So that research may be reflected in practice. The assistance of Institute of Education should also be involved in the conduct of final examination at the training colleges.
Emergence of the Faculty of Education
When the University College became a full-fledged University in the 1962/63 session, a Faculty of Education and Extra-Mural Studies was established, comprising the former Department of Extra-Mural Studies and the Department and Institute of Education. In terms of governance, however, the main link of the Institute to the Faculty was the fact that the posts of Director of the Institute of Education and Head of Department of Education were held by the same person. The governance of the Institute continued through the Board of Delegates as had been approved in 1961. The section of the original Institute that became completely absorbed by the Faculty Board of Education governance was the Department of Education.
Separation of Headship of Institute and Department
During the 1968/69 session, Senate directed the Board of Delegates to re-examine the structures of the Institute with a view to determining whether the existing modes of governance and headship should continue. A subcommittee chaired by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Professor C.M. Eddington, was set up to examine the issues. Subsequently, Senate in 1970 approved the following recommendations: